Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Van Gogh

I think its safe to say that I have a crush on Vincent Van Gogh.... I know I know its strange, but while people are stalking there friends on facebook, I stalk Van Gogh and his life. Not only does he Art work completely inspire and motivate me, but his life, his story extremely intrigues me.


Originally at 16 he starts an apprenticeship with his uncle Vincent at an international art dealership. Eventually he becomes bored with his life and turns to God. He started to work as a clergyman. He had a huge heart for people and wanted to help and love them. He became very passionate about evangelical Christianity and ministering to the poor. This didn't fit in with the church at the time, so he went to missionary school. Eventually he went to Borinage Belgium to preach to coal miners. He really fell in love with these people. He related to them, lived in there poor living conditions, and really just loved them where they were at. To me, it really sounds like Van Gogh was Jesus to them. BUT this also didn't fit in with Missionaries at the time. They still lived a comfortable life style yet tried to tell people about Jesus. To me, that doesn't make much sense, but whatever.

ANYWAYS... because of this, he also was asked to leave as an missionary field... and THAT'S when he decided that he was going to be an artist. He pretty much taught himself how to paint and draw. Is that not amazing?

The rest if his life was filled with a lot of tragedy, and in the end he commits suicide. That really breaks me heart.

Its also makes me sad how the church treated him. He was loving the way Jesus loved. They should have learned from him.


But anyways..... yeah.. that's my secret. I have a crush on Vincent Van Gogh..... and I bet now you do too.


This is probably his most famous and most recognizable painting, Starry Night. If you look at it though, notice that all the houses have lights on, but the church doesn't. That for sure expresses his heart for the Church. How sad is that?

No comments: